Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Let the Stupidity Begin

It didn’t take long for the cannibalism of the presidential candidates to begin. Sen. Joe Biden stepped in it and then proceeded to insert his leg into his mouth. He stopped just short of his thigh. Biden commented that Dem Senator Barak Obama (not Osama Obama as Teddy K likes to call him) was,

“…the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.... I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

Mmmm maybe I’m a tad too sensitive. Maybe I’m still shocked at B Boxer’s backhand at Condi Rice. But what in the world did Sen. Joe mean by that?

Is he saying that Jesse Jackson had poor personal hygiene? Was Alan Keyes too homely? Was Al Sharpton hard to understand? Okay, maybe I’ll give him that one, but he had nice hair which apparently is all that John Edwards needed. It seems to me that Sen. Biden has a Byrd complex. While he tries to put on a nice face and appear to be inclusive, his inner bigotries belie his public persona.

Mr. Biden’s comments suggest that he has some of the old south in him, even though he’s from Delaware. The unspoken message that he sends is: He’s an okay fellow, for a colored person. I’m white. I grew up in the south and witnessed cruel bigotry first hand. I saw it not only in the south but in Denver, Oakland, New York, and Anchorage also. I thought that we were a society that was maturing past such infantile attitudes. But just when I think that we can start ignoring the color of a person’s skin some Democrat comes out and says something stupid to point out someone’s race as an issue.

I’m sure that there are Republicans that harbor the same attitudes because filth knows no political party, but the vilest comments seem to come from the party that paints itself as the party of the minorities. To be fair, Sen. Biden was trying to blast the front runners for his party’s nomination and he took swipes at Hillary and Edwards too. He made fun of Edward’s hair and stopped just short of calling Hillary a shrew. But he also attacked the issues of their platforms. He just saw the color of Obama’s skin.

This week, sports fans are celebrating the fact that for the first time there are two black head coaches leading their teams into the Super Bowl. I suppose that is noteworthy. But we forget that two great men are coaching their teams this coming Sunday. They are both great coaches in their own right. I look forward to the day when we no longer have to recognize “firsts” but acknowledge the greatness of the person regardless of background. I agree with Dr. King.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

When will that day finally come?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home