Monday, April 02, 2007

More Chumps than Champs

I’m a life-long St Louis Cardinals fan. I attended my first game when I was six weeks old. I own more red shirts than any other color, despite that being the color of our biggest football rival (I coach high school football). I understand that the word fan derived from “fanatic”. My wife thinks I’m crazy. I’m good with that.

Last night, the Cards looked more like the Cubs than defending champs. To those on the north side of Chicago, “champs” is what they call the team that wins those extra baseball games in October while your team is golfing. Last night was pathetic. Bernie Miklasz of the StL Post-Dispatch nails it. The outfield couldn’t start for the brewery intramural team.

So Taguchi seemed shocked that the Mets would even dare to hit the ball to him. Why wouldn’t they? Apparently his World Series ring interfered with his ability to hold onto the baseball. Perhaps it was too heavy. He looked like a reject from “Dancing With the Stars” as he circled routine flies in left field Sunday night. I know he only had one official error but his “I got it, No I don’t, Yes I do, Where is it, Oops” tracking of Delgado’s warning track fly was easily catchable and it set the tone for the game. Not satisfied with a near-miss, Taguchi must have forgotten that you have to actually catch the ball in the 6th inning. Fortunately there weren’t any runners on base to get some conditioning in by running the bases.

Taguchi wasn’t the only Cardinal experiencing flat-line brain activity. Why in the world was Chris Carpenter throwing a first pitch fastball right down the middle to Alou, who has a reputation for being one of the best first pitch fastball hitters in the game? Why didn’t LaRussa sub Duncan for the inept fielding Taguchi? Why can’t Carpenter bunt? I know Tom Glavine is a future Hall of Fame pitcher but hitting into four double plays is inexcusable. If the redbirds hope to have any chance of repeating, they had better get their minds out of Florida and into St Louis. Hopefully they’ll do it by Tuesday night.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home